Sunday, September 4, 2016

Playing with some scraps to make a mini

Janice and Jen got together and set up this little mini blog hop featuring the Shadow Box quilt. I got my top finished but like a lot these days it isn't quilted yet. I have admired this style of quilt top for some time. Making the mini allowed me to experiment and I must say I do not know why I delayed so long to make one. These are quite easy to construct. The original instructions were written up by Debora at Studiodragonfly (here). I will confess I studied her directions and them made some efficiencies to allow a bit more chain piecing. My mini measures 17 1/2" x 21 1/2". The coloured squares started at 3" square.
The boys have been here a lot in August. So not much has been accomplished. I have done several test quilts for some new to me designers and really enjoy that part of the quilting journey. The only difficult part is keeping everything secret for what seems like forever until the pattern is released. By that time it is such old news. My sewing room has been excavated and it is nice to be able to walk across the room and not around piles of stuff to get around the room. I am looking forward to regular routines starting up now that summer is almost over. Well it is over for the kids. We retired teachers tend to enjoy this weekend a lot more than we used to.

Please take time to visit the other bloggers who signed up to participate in this mini blog hop and see how they interpreted the directions.

The other bloggers are:Jen Rosin at A Dream and a Stitch
Janice Holton at colorcreatingandquilting
Debora Exum at Studio Dragonfly
Amanda Everest at Quiltologie
Susan Arnold at Quilt Fabrication
Bonnie Stapleton at Institches with Bonnie
Jennifer Fulton at Inquiring Quilter
Jennifer Strauser at Dizzy Quilter
Joanne Harris at Quilts by Joanne
Anja Clyke at Anja Quilts
Mary Schuberg at Needled Mom

Piecefully, Joanne

Linking up with Lorna for Lets Be Sewcial (here)

28 comments:

  1. Hi Joanne -- Were you a part of Fabricholics Annonymous? I participated in this quilt along also. Your's looks great -- the shadows show so well. Definitely a fun and easy pattern to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the colors and placement of the lighter and darker tones that you used in you mini quilt top. It is so fun to see how different fabric selections look with this design in the hop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for new experiments! Those little blocks are definitely a floatin'! I love this 3-D effect. Thanks so much for joining in, Joanne.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The fabrics you used are so pretty. It will be a fun quilt to quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty - love your color choices!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have always wanted to do this pattern too. It is fascinating and this mini was a great way to try it out. I love how quickly it comes together.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is really pretty. I like the more feminine color way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a happy little quilt, and in my favorite colors too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your fabrics are great - what a lovely combination.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So pretty. I love the 3D effect.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely! A shadow quilt is on my bucket list.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that I can use scraps for one of these mini quilts. Colors are great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stunning mini quilt. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love how you used scraps to make your mini...very well blended together..Looove it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very pretty thanks!
    cork@pa.rr.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. The colours are very pretty. Good luck with quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Pretty mini shadow quilt. 24Tangent@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yours is terrific! I so badly wanted to do one; nearly had a DREAMi moment (my coined term for DRop Everything And Make it...but I stayed the course and quilted on my daughter's quilt (which is purples much like yours!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I admire your hot colors in this mini! I also love the purple, which is always a favorite of mine. Yes, we retired teachers do enjoy those long weekends!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gorgeous mini! Love the colors. Does it have a home once it's quilted?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful colors! It's been fun seeing all the different versions.

    ReplyDelete
  22. those shadows really pop out, and on the lawn, a great photo setting. Love your background fabric colour.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very nice. Good contrast. The blocks really pop.

    ReplyDelete
  24. The lighter background allows the squares to literally jump from the quilt. Nice color choices. This was a great QAL.

    tushay3 (at) yahoo (dot) com

    ReplyDelete