Tuesday, July 1, 2014

HSTeria my small contribution

Vicki over at Field Trips in Fiber-Adventures in Quilting, hand dyed fabric and fiber art (here) has been running HSTeria for a couple of months. I must admit my half square triangle supply is out of this world but I tend to make pinwheels and more pinwheels. Her contributions and design suggestions are very good and definitely worth having a look at if you too have a large supply of HST waiting to be made into something.
This little baby quilt is 25" by 32". I was given a milk bag full of triangles. Note I said triangles not half square triangles. And for any American followers Canadians buy their grocery store milk in 4 Litre bags. So first of all I had to sew all the triangles together to made a pile of half square triangles. I did that task as Leaders and Enders and tried to  press them as they were created. The Half Square Triangles were 1 3/4" when sewn together. When I was visiting friends for a little retreat I dumped the bag of HST onto the table after dinner and we all sorted them into like bundles. Then I sewed them into the pinwheels and arranged them into a small quilt. There are 130 pinwheel blocks or 520 HST in the quilt. I just stitched in the ditch to quilt it. They served as a good distraction and I do get a boost from making something out of nothing but I am happy it is all done, labelled and ready to donate to my Scrapbag group when we start up again in the fall. Piecefully, Joanne

3 comments:

  1. How funny - I just dumped a baggy of triangles (gifted) and did the very similar - well started on it. Love the soft color and flow to this little quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always fun for me to make something from nothing. Your quilt is a welcome baby lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a really cute quilt. Great use of scraps.
    Milk bag? Milk comes in bags in Canada?
    I learn something new everyday ... :) Pat

    ReplyDelete